Monday, January 10, 2011

Cinnamon Griddle Scones

Scones are always a good choice: they are egg-less and easy to make, plus there is that incomparable taste of warm fresh bread for breakfast. Well, I think so. When I found this recipe I wanted to try it because the scones are cooked on a griddle rather than baked in the oven. Another motive for making griddle scones is to try out the new griddle I bought this Christmas at Emporium. It was a splurge. I got it at 20% off for Baht 1200 (US $40.00). It wasn't exactly the best deal but I needed a good griddle pan. It's not on the South Beach Diet but I like to bake anyway and I have a husband and son who like to eat whatever I bake. So, here goes!

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons dry nonfat milk powder (original recipe: dry buttermilk solids)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening


Whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, salt, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and the nonfat milk powder in a large bowl. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together in a ball.


Turn out onto a well-floured surface and knead lightly.  Pat into a 6 1/2 inch circle. Here I'm using my metal Domo ruler to make sure it's wide enough--it's 7 inches.


Cut the circle into fourths and then into eighths.


Melt the two tablespoons shortening on a hot griddle pan.


Scoop up the wedges with a bench scraper and put them on the griddle. I like the fact they look a little "rustic" and uneven.

When the underside turns a golden brown, flip them over.


Cook the second side until it is golden brown.


Griddle scone ready to eat!


The inside should be dry and fluffy, looking more like a biscuit than a pancake.


Enjoy a plate of griddle scones with butter and jam. They are not sweet at all with just a hint of cinnamon. I'd like to try this again with dry buttermilk solids--if I can find it!

No comments:

Post a Comment