Sunday, October 31, 2010

Butternut Squash Risotto from America's Test Kitchen

A risotto is an Italian rice dish very similar to a Chinese rice porridge, a soft boiled rice that's easily digestible. As I'd like to add more vegetarian dishes to my repertoire I thought I'd try it out. This one is made with chicken soup, however, it can be made with a vegetable stock. I left out the nutmeg because I thought it was a rather strange addition to a savory rice dish. I also found the sage to be unpleasantly bitter. Most meat-lovers are suspicious of vegetarian dishes thinking they are not hearty enough, but this one is surprisingly filling. The texture was soft but not al dente, and the taste was tangy and a bit on the salty side because of the chicken broth.  AJ pronounced the risotto "okay"--he had two helpings-- but I'm not sure I'll ever make it again. Click on this link for the Butternut Squash Risotto recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment