Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Popeye-Green Salsa Burgers

Juicy sliders!
A long time ago when Taranee was very little, I bought a book called Healthy Snacks for Kids. The point of the book was to feed healthy foods to kids but all the appeal was in the presentation. One of the recipes was called Popeye Burgers. It was a basic hamburger patty with chopped spinach inside. The recipe was an instant hit not only with Taranee but with Andy and AJ as well. Now that the children are grown up, so has this recipe.

1 pound lean ground meat (beef, chicken, pork, or turkey)
1 cup chopped spinach
1/3 cup green salsa (mild or spicy)
1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
salt and pepper to taste
1 slice of Cheddar cheese folded in quarters

In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well. I like to use my hands because it really helps to combine all the ingredients. I added the almonds partly to soak up the extra liquid and partly to add flavor. I also happened to have leftovers from Sunday's pad thai. 

On high heat, heat a non-stick skillet. Make patties about as big as the palm of your hand. I got 6 patties out of a pound--sliders! I put the sliders in that wonderful Everyday pan (no oil!). Turn the heat to medium high. I let the patties cook about 10 minutes on each side. I turned the patties once and topped four of them with the cheese quarters.They're juicy, as you can see from the picture above.
Popeye burger on a whole wheat sourdough bun

No comments:

Post a Comment